Sunday, April 14, 2013

Homeowners: 2011 in a nutshell

DH (dear husband) & I had purchased a home in 2007, about a year before we were married. It was a nice modular double-wide on 10acres located just a couple of miles from his family farm.

This house was always intended to be temporary. There was a farm just around the corner that DH had his sights set on. This farm was on a piece of land that would connect his family's pieces of land. I knew this property would be no easy feat and would come with a big price tag. We did our best keeping our finances/goals/dreams in check so we'd be able to buy the place when it came up for sale.

I admit I had my doubts and figured we'd be stuck in our first house for a very long time. It wasn't that I didn't like the house, I actually miss some parts of it now, but it wasn't the type of home I thought I would be living in for the rest of my life. Little did I know, DH's dreams would come true sooner than either of us expected.

May 2011. This is when it all started. Our guy was ready to sell! Thankfully, he was a very nice and patient man because we didn't close on the house until the very first week of December. The loan process was one that I plan on never doing again. NEVER. We went through the USDA-FSA (U.S. Dept of Agriculture-Farm Service Agency). This loan was an enormous pain in the ass, but it was worth it in the end, I had to remind myself daily of this.  It's called a 5/45/50 loan. You put down 5%, the USDA loans 45% and the other 50% is from a bank. 

Why was this loan such a pain in the ass you might ask? The truth is that it's a government loan and all the paperwork and bullshit that goes along with it is ridiculous. I swear, every week they were needing some sort of new document filled out. The shittiest part of it all was that the documents are only valid for 3 months, then they expire and you have to fill them out again.  Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? It wouldn't be, but you have to wait until their funding comes in (it's distributed yearly to the FSA's across the US in the fall) and the funding is given to applicants on a first come first serve basis until the FSA has no more $$$ to loan out. It's entirely possible (depending on where you're at on the list) the local FSA could loan out their annual allotment by the time your name comes up, so then you have to wait for the next years funding. Also, if you don't redo the forms every 3 months while you're waiting and get them turned in by specific dates, you're put on the end of the list. By the time our local FSA got their funding and a date was set to close, we had to fill out every. fucking. document three times. THREE!!!

Now you must really want to know why I tortured myself with this. Why I reminded myself daily it would be worth it in the end. Why on earth would anybody be persistent enough to deal with all of that!?!?  This is why: the 45% they loan was a 20yr fixed interest rate of 1.5%!!

Finally, the first week of December we closed on the house and it was all ours! It was a great ending to 2011.

The front of the house
 
The back of the house
 
The south end of the house
 
Looking at our property from inside the barn
 
 
 
KMW08's 60acres from Google Earth View.
It's approx. 1/8th of a mile wide and 3/4ths of a mile long.
The arrows point to the barn, house, pond and a creek that runs through the property.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment